GB 600, Leadership Strategies for a Changing World
Subject Code: GB600
Subject Name: Leadership Strategies for a Changing World.
Assessment Title: Individual essay
Word Limit: 2500
Leadership is argued to be one the most important aspects in modern day organisations.
Discuss the difficulties leaders face in organisations and suggest some theories/models of leadership that can be applied to address these difficulties.
Your essay should consider the following: (use the following as sub-headings to structure your essay)
• Why is ‘leadership’ such a major issue in modern workplaces?
• What factors are contributing to the challenges of ‘leadership’?
• How can a manager use theories/models to inform their ‘leadership’ in a modern organisation?
• How can a manager work to overcome their ‘leadership’ challenges?
• Why is the information you have found important to know, especially for people who are leading in organisations?
The Essay requires:
• A thorough research and treatment of the contemporary literature in the topic area.
• A range of references that should demonstrate breadth and depth of research.
• The incorporation of personal/organisational examples as illustrative evidence.
• An ability to utilise the wider literature in constructing the narrative is displayed throughout.
• A display of critical evaluation and diagnostic skills in the choice of the data included.
• A display of critical evaluation in the choice of the information sources used.
• Appropriate and accurate use of the Harvard Referencing System.
You must use a minimum of 10 references:
• Text books: The prescribed text and at least 2 other text books
• 6 different academic journal articles
• 1 + other source of your choice: Blog, newspaper, magazine or other Internet source
• Wikipedia is not to be used and does not count as an academic reference.
Assessment Marking Rubric
Introduction. Explicit and detailed statement of essay aims and essay scope
Coverage of key concepts. Comprehensive discussion of all parts of the essay question. All key concepts are identified and clearly defined.
Review of relevant theory and research. Argument supported by comprehensive discussion of relevant theory and research sourced from significantly more than 15 academic sources.
Use of examples. Provides detailed and highly relevant examples that clearly illustrate key points.
Conclusion. Explicit and detailed statement of essay aims and review of main issues covered in essay.
Write using academic language and structure. Writing style is clear; logical flow and structure;
Fluent use of discipline specific academic
No spelling or grammatical errors.
Adhere to academic referencing conventions
And acknowledge sources. Acknowledged all sources in text and in reference list.
All references in correct format.
Adhere to presentation conventions. Meets all presentation requirements (12 size font, 1.5 or double spacing, with page numbers)